Delivering Advanced, Collaborative Care to Help PE Patients Live as Fully as Possible
Pulmonary embolism (PE) is the blockage of an artery in the lung, frequently caused by a blood clot that originally formed elsewhere in the body. PE symptoms send thousands of Americans to the hospital every year. It is the third leading cause of death in the United States.
Whether it is the cause of a hospital admission or develops during a hospital stay, a pulmonary embolism requires ongoing medical care throughout the patient’s lifetime. Choosing a physician who understands PE and can offer long-term, advanced care is key to managing this chronic condition.
SLUCare Provides the Latest in PE Treatment
SLUCare pulmonary specialists are leading the way in treatment of pulmonary embolism. SLUCare doctors practicing at SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital are among the founding members of the Pulmonary Embolism Response Team Consortium. PERT members are dedicated to performing PE research, improving PE treatments, and increasing PE survival rates nationwide.
Here in St. Louis, Dr. Soophia Naydenov offers dedicated care for PE patients in the SLUCare Pulmonary Embolism Clinic.
SLUCare PE Clinic Services Include:
- Timely follow-up care after hospitalization
- Evaluation for the cause of PE
- Testing in a state-of-the-art exercise lab
- Assessment of physical limitations and quality of life
- Development of a personalized plan for living with PE
- Access to the latest medications — beyond traditional blood thinners
- Screening for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH), a complication that develops in some patients who survive PE
- Consultation with other SLUCare specialists in interventional radiology, hematology, cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery
- Collaboration with other PERT hospitals to address complex cases
- Established collaboration for CTEPH surgery at recognized centers throughout the United States
Our team is here to help you long term — to answer your questions, monitor your progress, and communicate with your primary care doctor to help you live life as fully as possible with PE.
|Meet Our Specialist||Schedule Appointment Online|