SLUCare pathologists and clinical scientists offer complete, state-of-the-art diagnostic, consultative and therapeutic services to referring physicians, community hospitals, independent laboratories and other health care providers. Our goal is to provide timely services that shorten hospital stays and reduce health care costs. We welcome consultations from other pathologists who desire a second opinion about a complex case.
SLUCare pathologists are board certified by the American Board of Pathology. SLUCare clinical scientists have expertise in multiple subspecialties including clinical chemistry, toxicology, and medical microbiology and are board certified by the American Board of Clinical Chemistry and the American Board of Medical Microbiology.
The Pathology Department is accredited by College of American Pathologists. As leaders in anatomic pathology consultation services and clinical laboratory testing, we combine sophisticated testing and informatics capabilities of our fully accredited laboratories with the resources of an academic and teaching institution.
Our specialists offer hematopathology diagnostic services with flow cytometry for diagnosis of hematologic malignancies and benign hematologic disorders; renal biopsy and muscle biopsy interpretation; and special expertise in adult, pediatric, fetal and forensic autopsies. We have special expertise in GI and liver pathology; cytopathology and fine needle aspiration; GYN, ENT, soft tissue and bone, and pediatric and placental pathology.
The department also maintains special facilities for immunohistochemical procedures, as well as an electron microscopy laboratory and a full-service toxicology laboratory.
SLUCare Pathology Services
Anatomic Pathology Services
- Autopsy Service
- Brain Bank
- Cytology/Fine Needle Aspiration
- Electron Microscopy Laboratory
- Hematopathology Flow Cytometry Laboratory
- Histopathology Laboratory
- Muscle Biopsy Service
- Placental and Perinatal Pathology Service
- Renal Biopsy Service
- Surgical Pathology Consult Service
Clinical Pathology Services
- Clinical Pathology
- SLUCare clinical pathologists and clinical scientists provide quality service in laboratory testing by developing and implementing new tests, ensuring quality control and offering expert interpretations and consultations in order that clinicians may appropriately care for and treat their patients.
- Forensic Toxicology Laboratory
- Blood Bank/Transfusion Services
- The SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital Blood Bank is registered with the Food and Drug Administration. It is staffed around the clock by specially trained medical technologists and technicians.
- Teaching: Our staff is committed to teaching Allied Health students, medical students, residents and fellows. Based on the individual's interests and needs, time learning with our team will be spent acquiring basic blood bank technical knowledge, as well as gaining experience on a busy transfusion service. Physicians-in-training are an integral part of the team, serving as the primary liaison between the blood bank and patient services.
- Donation: Please donate! To learn about blood donation, please visit the American Red Cross website or the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center website.
SLUCare Pathology LocationsSchwitalla Hall 1402 S Grand Blvd. St. Louis, MO 63104 314-577-8475 See Map SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital 3635 Vista Ave. at Grand Blvd. St. Louis, MO 63110 314-577-8475 See Map
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - St. Louis
6420 Clayton Road
St. Louis, MO 63117
314-768-8208 See Map SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital 1465 S Grand Blvd. St. Louis, MO 63104 314-577-5600 See Map
Anderson Hospital 6800 State Route 162 Maryville, IL 62062 618-288-5711 See Map SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital
1 Good Samaritan Way
Mt. Vernon, IL 62864-2402
See Map 618-474-6357 See Map