Missouri’s only academic midwifery program, offering pre-pregnancy and prenatal care, childbirth services and breastfeeding support
Are you planning for a baby and desire a low-intervention birth experience? SLUCare midwives are advance practice nurses with years of experience caring for women before and during pregnancy, throughout labor and delivery and beyond. We treat pregnancy as a natural life event — not an illness — and we take an educational approach to care, empowering women to prepare physically and mentally for baby’s arrival.
As part of SLUCare Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women’s Health, we offer services through SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital – St. Louis. This affiliation means our patients get the best of both worlds: a midwife birth experience, but with the resources of a baby-friendly hospital, maternal-fetal medicine specialists and a Level 3 neonatal intensive care unit on site, if needed.
All the Support a Mom-to-Be Needs
Choosing a midwife is an excellent option for healthy women, age 40 or younger, at low risk for complications, who prefer a more natural childbirth experience and want to maintain a sense of control throughout labor and delivery.
When you choose a SLUCare midwife, you’ll have an experienced partner to advise and support you throughout each stage of this pivotal time in your life. We offer:
- Expertise – our midwives are educators at Saint Louis University School of Medicine, so we’re up to date on the latest advances in care
- Longer prenatal office visits than in most obstetric practices
- Educational support to help you feel confident in your body as you prepare for baby’s arrival
- In-office ultrasounds, blood tests and nutrition consults with a registered dietitian
- Options for pain management during labor and delivery, including nitrous oxide (laughing gas)
- Comfortable birthing suites with portable tubs for hydrotherapy use during labor
- Lower C-section rates than the national average
- Access to a team of SLUCare specialists – obstetricians and maternal-fetal medicine specialists – should complications arise
- Lactation education and support (now available through virtual visits), resulting in higher rates of breastfeeding compared to the Missouri average
- Services covered by insurance , unlike cash-for-service birthing centers
- Ongoing care for women, including annual wellness exams and family planning
SLUCare midwives work closely with SLUCare obstetricians and maternal-fetal medicine specialists, so even if you have certain risk factors that may impact your pregnancy, we may be able to develop a plan to co-manage your care and offer you the low-intervention birth experience you desire.
To schedule a consultation with a SLUCare midwife, call 314-977-7455.