A Unique Approach for Couples Struggling to Get Pregnant
Couples who have trouble getting pregnant are sometimes directed toward in vitro fertilization (IVF) as a potential solution to the problem. But IVF isn't always the answer:
- IVF fails to address the underlying medical causes of infertility, thus it is not a long-term solution.
- IVF is expensive and often not covered by insurance.
- IVF is at odds with Catholic teaching, creating ethical issues for some couples.
SLUCare Restorative Fertility Clinic Offers Effective Alternatives to IVF
In the SLUCare Restorative Fertility Clinic, Dr. Patrick Yeung takes a unique approach to infertility treatment — one that aligns with Catholic values and is focused on helping the couple achieve pregnancy in cooperation with the natural cycle.
Dr. Yeung and his team use a fertility-care approach based on NaProTECHNOLOGY that:
- Investigates why the couple is having trouble getting pregnant
- Treats the root causes of the couple's infertility
- Works with the woman's cycle to enable her to conceive naturally
The clinic identifies fertility problems through medical evaluation in five key areas:
- Male reproductive system
- Hormone levels
- Cervical analysis
- Sexual issues
- Anatomical challenges
Dr. Yeung analyzes the results to determine the next steps for the couple. The solution may be as simple as taking a vitamin supplement to create an optimal cervical environment for pregnancy. Or it may be more complex: surgery, for example, to treat an underlying medical problem, such as endometriosis, polycystic ovarian disease, or blockage of the fallopian tubes.
Advantages Over IVF
Once the condition causing the infertility is treated, pregnancy is much more likely to occur naturally. This comes with additional benefits:
- Reduced pain: Pelvic pain, if present before treatment, is minimized following treatment.
- Improved well-being: When the underlying condition is corrected, patients frequently experience better quality of life.
- Long-term results: Removing the barrier to pregnancy makes subsequent pregnancies possible.
- Lower out-of-pocket costs: Treatment for the medical condition causing infertility is likely to be covered by insurance. IVF often is not.
- Aligns with Catholic values: With the focus on helping the couple get pregnant together, there is no production of embryos outside the womb.
- Comparable success rates: Over time, pregnancy rates are even better than IVF.
SLUCare Restorative Fertility Specialists
SLUCare Restorative Fertility Clinic Location
SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - St. Louis, 1031 Building 1031 Bellevue Ave., Suite 400 St. Louis, MO 63117